Saturday, March 16, 2024

Chapter 1


“Read this” she said.

As she handed me smattering of notes 

Scribbled on the ripped out soft covers of trashy novels 

“This is writing!” she proclaimed.


“These are rejects” I retorted.

She looked at me disappointedly.


“So you don’t consider what I do writing?” I asked.

“You’re not for everyone” she replied.


“And this is?!

These are incoherent rambling’s made to appeal to intellectually vacant groupies wanting to belong.

What I do is distilled from a thousand curated thoughts.

Do you know how much of my work you haven’t read because it never made the cut?”


“So what do you want to do…”

She interjected.

As if what I had just revealed after 3 years together meant nothing.


“I know you’re leaving”

She sat quietly, and

stared ahead,as if willing me on.

All the while feigning the deepest sadness known to man.


“Do what you want to do

But I have one request,

Don’t do it here,

Because this is where I also live”


She got up to leave as the safety regulatory agents came into view.

Suits and briefcases and prejudice .

All rolled into a slowly advancing wall of doom.


As they sat down at the coffee table

It seemed as if the birds all suddenly stopped chirping.


“Tell us captain” one of them blurted out.

As a sort of crude introduction.

“What made you wake up?”


“Divine intervention I guess”


But my focus was elsewhere.

Mostly on the river.

And on her walking up the hill back to the house.

Coffee cup and book covers in tow.

On the phone to her lover,

To tell him the good news.


I guess I am the reject

No comments: